1. Katy Perry’s “Roar” and Sara Bareilles’ “Brave” are going head-to-head in the Best Pop Solo Performance category.
Perry was accused of copying “Brave” because of how similar it sounds to “Roar.” Bareilles told ABC it wasn’t an issue for her, however, saying, “It’s putting this negative spin on two artists that are choosing to share positive messages.” Three months before Perry released “Roar,” she tweeted a link to the music video for “Brave.”
2. Four of Jay Z’s nominations are in two categories
Jay Z has the most nominations of any artists with nine. Even if he wins in every category he’s nominated in, though, he can only win seven because he’s competing against himself in two categories.
“Part II (On The Run)” featuring Beyoncé and “Holy Grail” featuring Justin Timberlake are both nominated for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration, and “Picasso Baby: A Performance Art Film”and “Suit & Tie” by Justin Timberlake featuring Jay Z are both nominated for Best Music Video.
3. Three of Taylor Swift’s four nominations are in country categories.
Her latest record might have been her least country sounding, but a quarter of Swift’s nominations are in country categories.
“Highway Don’t Care” by Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift & Keith Urban is nominated for Best Country Duo/Group Performance, “Begin Again” is nominated for Best Country Song, and Red is nominated for Best Country Album. Her one general nomination is the Album Of The Year category where Red is nominated.
4. If it wasn’t for her featured credit on her husband’s song, Beyoncé wouldn’t have any nominations this year.
After performing at the most watched television event of the year, Beyoncé released zero albums, but collaborated with Jay Z on “Part II (On The Run)” which is nominated for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration.
5. Lorde received four nominations, but not for Best New Artist.
Lorde received four nominations, which was just as many as Best New Artist nominee Kacey Musgraves and more than Best New Artist nominees James Blake and Ed Sheeran, but she didn’t get a Best New Artist nomination. Oh well.
6. Most of the nominees for Best Rock Album are really old and started their careers before Lorde was even born.
The only artists nominated for Best Rock Album who released their first album since Lorde was born are Kings of Leon and Queens of Stone Age. The other nominees in the category are Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin and Neil Young with Crazy Horse.
- At least two people are dead and 100 others injured after two trains collided in Bavaria, Germany, local police say.