1. These professionals recognize the universal right to health
They refuse to deny care to those who need it most!
2. Doctors, Nurses and other Health Care Professionals (HCPs) see advocacy and activism as a part of their job
For example, doctors look to the CanMEDS framework that says all physicians need to be health advocates—which means that they’re “using their expertise and influence to advance the health and well-being of individual patients, communities, and populations”
By speaking out against the federal cuts, docs and HCPs are responding to the health needs of the people they serve,
3. They know what they’re fighting for based on their experiences
Doctors, nurses and allied healthcare professionals who witness the impacts of IFH cuts on their patients are moved to speak out against unjust policies
the campaign isn’t organized by those removed from the realities of refugee health care
5. Docs and HCPs are making their opposition an evidence-based decision
In light of Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP) cuts, docs have been documenting cases of patients who have been denied care and their poor outcomes.
Most recently, a study out of Sick Kids presented compelling evidence that denying care leads to more costly hospitalizations
This year, docs and health care professionals are ready to publicly oppose federal cuts because there’s good reason to!
7. HCPs of all backgrounds are joining forces to raise awareness
By engaging not only physicians but all professionals serving refugees, these advocates have a larger and stronger voice against the IFH cuts
8. So while physician protests might seem like this
9. Doctors are actually pretty good at raising awareness
10. …sparking political debate
Cuts to refugee care led to heated debate between physicians, federal officials and provincial ministers
11. … and they have the potential to effect CHANGE
Docs and HCPs are not backing down and will continue speaking out until the cuts are reversed.
12. And while SOME people think advocates are “militant leftists”
More info on the baseless claim here
13. They’re just care providers (and providers to be), of ALL political backgrounds, that want good health outcomes for their patients
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing aircraft MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- Cilla Black, the legendary English singer and TV star, has died at her home in Spain, according to local police. She was 72-years-old.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".