[It should go without saying, this post contains spoilers. I would characterize them as minor spoilers - they are decontextualized quotes from throughout the series. But I don’t know where you fall on the spoiler spectrum, friend, so tread carefully.]
The Netflix hit has everyone talking but while a great deal of praise has been given to the show’s racially diverse cast (deserved praise, it should be noted!), there hasn’t been much serious conversation about how the show actually employs these characters and to what effect. Frankly, the racial politics can feel a bit sloppy at times.
As this excellent piece from In These Times highlights, everything from its understanding of the historic and contemporary realities of how women of color move through prison to its portrayal of women of color’s sexuality needs to be examined. Especially as the beginning of the series relies so heavily on on a white girl fish-out-of-water narrative to introduce the world, one cannot be blamed for starting the show with a bit of hesitation. But by the end of the season, it turns into an amazing and refreshing foray into the stories of women of color that is so rarely seen on television that you can’t help but fall in love with the show.
Here are just a few of the many times this incredible ensemble cast gave me life:
3. …And when that decoration was properly appreciated!
4. This exchange between Taystee and Poussey about “White people politics” that actually had you dying.
(You are reading this from the afterlife, obvi)
10. When Taystee ignores everything and just starts dancing:
14. When Sophia and Crystal share some difficult and tender moments as they work through their relationship.
24. When all the beautiful, glorious side-eyes happen.
25. And, of course, all the times when they are flawless and beautiful together IRL!
- Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump have won the New Hampshire primaries for the Democratic and Republican nominations 🇺🇸
- The Supreme Court put on hold President Obama's climate change plan, which aims to curb carbon dioxide emissions from power plants.
- And thank the Force: Disney's profits hit an all-time high of $2.9 billion after the latest *Star Wars* film release ✨💰