1. Your parents always talk about how they had to walk 5,000 miles to get to school. Barefoot. Across a mountain. With a goat.
3. The kids in your class always asked you ridiculously stupid questions.
Or other equally ignorant questions like “Did you have a pet lion?”
4. It’s always interesting to see when Americans become interested in your country.
5. And you wonder if the Americans notice that you are making fun of them…
6. Growing up, your parents always lectured you about hard work. Meanwhile…
7. They always bring up marriage but refuse to allow you to leave the house.
10. LOL “going out”, “having friends”, “doing anything besides school work”
13. There’s also that awkward moment when you find your cousins from back home on Facebook…
17. Whenever your parents chastised you, they always blamed it on the influence of the one American celebrity they know.
20. Your mom forced you to learn how to cook. And you’re so grateful.
21. You’ve watched so many bad african movies where they all make the same “acting” face.
22. Every summer, there are a million weddings. And everyone always looks flawless.
Photo by Megan Beth photography.
23. No one can touch your dance moves.