1. Meet Jarad Dawkins, 11, and Malcom Brickhouse, 12, the middle schoolers behind the band Unlocking The Truth.
2. They met at a birthday party when they were four and have been playing together ever since.
3. They were interviewed by the digital magazine, The Avant/Garde Diaries and it is the most adorable, metal thing ever.
5. “We write about things in our life, about school. Also, we write love songs, about relationships we dealt with.”
“I know it’s a little grown up but we just do it because that’s what we like to do.”
6. Malcolm also talked about writing songs based on how people reacted to the fact the he wears nail polish.
“Since I wear nail polish, which is not normal for most boys to wear…not that I get bullied but people bother me about it. At times it offends me, at times it doesn’t so I just write songs about it.”
7. And while they may be young, you shouldn’t underestimate them.
9. And they were recently asked to perform on Totally Biased With Kamau Bell.
10. When W. Kamau Bell interviewed them, they introduced their new bass player, 12 year-old-Alec Atkins.
11. The boys also talked about one of their favorite bands, Living Color, so Kamau brought along ex-band member and current writer for his show, Vernon Reid.
This is him giving the boys a lesson on how to respond when someone invites them to play on their show. The lesson was basically, “Can you not be so damn cool?”
12. Oh and Questlove tweeted about them so you know they’re going to be huge.
13. So not only are these kids cooler than you’ll ever be, they’re also incredibly inspiring, too.
Rock on, dudes.
- Boston is no longer pursuing a bid to host the 2024 summer Olympics.
- An independent committee has been formed to review evidence of the arrest and death of Sandra Bland.