After Cheerios ran a commercial depicting an interracial family eating breakfast, a racist shitstorm erupted because…interracial families exist and eat breakfast? I’m not sure actually. But Cheerios had to disable the comments on the youtube page before it could get any worse. In response to this racist backlash, a husband-wife duo created the Tumblr We Are The 15 Percent. Simply put - it responds to the racist commenters - we exist.
3. The Tumblr is a crowd sourced collection of portraits of interracial families and interracial marriages.
From the Tumblr’s description:
We’ve created this site to publicly reflect the changing face of the American family. According to the 2008 census, 15% of new marriages are interracial. And yet, it still feels rare to see something like the Cheerios ad represented in mainstream culture.
4. Here are some of the photos of families existing and stuff:
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- Matt Stonie won the 2015 Nathan's Famous hot dog eating contest, beating 8-time champion Joey Chestnut ☀️??