After Cheerios ran a commercial depicting an interracial family eating breakfast, a racist shitstorm erupted because…interracial families exist and eat breakfast? I’m not sure actually. But Cheerios had to disable the comments on the youtube page before it could get any worse. In response to this racist backlash, a husband-wife duo created the Tumblr We Are The 15 Percent. Simply put - it responds to the racist commenters - we exist.
3. The Tumblr is a crowd sourced collection of portraits of interracial families and interracial marriages.
From the Tumblr’s description:
We’ve created this site to publicly reflect the changing face of the American family. According to the 2008 census, 15% of new marriages are interracial. And yet, it still feels rare to see something like the Cheerios ad represented in mainstream culture.
4. Here are some of the photos of families existing and stuff:
- Thirty-one people are dead after two passenger trains derailed within minutes of each other on a flooded bridge in central India.
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.
- Record-breaking freediver, Natalia Molchanova, is feared dead. She disappeared while diving off the coast of Spain on Sunday.