8. The Sudan* x The United States
*before South Sudan officially became an independent state on July 9, 2011
18. The U.S. vs The World
19. Maps are just all wrong. Here’s how the world map should look according to “The West Wing”:
Ah, the politics of map design.
The Gall-Peters Projection world map
While originally created by James Gall in 1885, the Gall-Peters Projection came into public consciousness in 1967 when Arno Peters championed it as a more accurate representation of the size of countries. It was considered controversial for calling into question the way the “third-world” is represented.
- Greece won't pay the International Monetary Fund the $1.8 billion it owes on time, paving the way for a formal default.
- Liberia has reported its first Ebola death since the country was declared free of the virus in May.
- At least 30 people were reported dead after a military plane crashed into two houses in a residential neighborhood in the Indonesian city of Medan.
- N.J. Gov. Chris Christie, a Republican who's faced political fallout from the "Bridgegate" scandal, is running for president.