1. This is PewDiePie, who, with just shy of 30 million subscribers, is the most-followed channel on YouTube.
He’s a Swedish 24-year-old named Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg.
2. In his videos, he mostly broadcasts himself playing video games while narrating the experience.
His videos have been viewed 5.6 billion times.
3. The Wall Street Journal says he’s bringing in $4 million a year, thanks to advertisements.
Streaming video game play has become a massive business over the past few years. Twitch, a company that lets users do just this, recently sold to Google for over $1 billion.
4. Recently, PewDiePie played the Kim Kardashian game and broadcast it on his channel.
He calls the game “genius, really” but his review says, in unkinder language, that he wishes there had been more women’s breasts.
(Also, note: more NSFW language if you watch the video.)
5. Perhaps you’re familiar with the Kim Kardashian game? It famously brought in $1.6 million in five days earlier this summer and cost your friends hours of sleep.
Some projections have said that it could earn revenues of $200 million a year.
So there if you have it. If you would like to explain to aliens what it is that’s going on on the internet, you can show your alien friends this video. The best parts of the internet? No. but a big part nonetheless.
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".
- A Memphis police officer was shot dead on Saturday night while conducting a routine traffic stop, according to a statement from the Memphis Police Department.