Imelda Marcos, the former First Lady of the Philippines, was known around the world for her ridiculously massive collection of fancy footwear. But the collection of around 2,700 shoes is largely ruined by termites and water damage thanks to neglect by the museum that kept the collection.
2. Here’s how things look now:
4. While much of her country struggled through poverty (sometimes, shoeless), Marcos collection of around 2,700 shoes was seen (obviously) as a sign of excess.
5. She didn’t just have shoes with designer labels — sometimes, her name was the label.
In the 1980s, she and her dictator husband were driven into exile — but little could dampen her shoe appetite. As Marcos once said,
“Win or lose, we go shopping after the election.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated current Britain's Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?