Pinterest’s new terms of service dictate that as of April 6, any pins or boards that “explicitly encourage self-harm or abuse” will be banned from the site, a move that echoes Tumblr’s decision to ban similar content last month. That April 6 date is still almost two weeks away, which means tons of alarming pro-anorexia and “thinspirational” content is still live on the site.
2. This is what you find when you search Pinterest for “thinspo.”
Photos of women in bikinis are a common theme.
3. A search for “thinspiration” yields similar results.
4. You’ll also find lots of boards singularly devoted to aspirational thinness.
5. This board is called “Get Thin.”
6. Here’s a pin from that board.
7. Pasting “thinspirational” quotes onto photos is a big thing.
8. And more.
9. Pinterest does not think this is a “lol” matter.
10. Some boards are more fitness-oriented.
Will boards like these get taken down?
11. Kate Moss is a popular “thinspiration.”
12. (She’s kind of everywhere.)
13. Some of the fitness-oriented pins are a little more controversial.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.