1. New Year’s Eve is a few days out, which means it’s time to assemble the Times Square ball.
2. The ball is covered in 288 of these crystals.
They’re called New Waterford Crystals.
3. Here’s Kari Clark, wife of the late longtime New Year’s Eve host Dick Clark.
She was on hand to help put the new crystals on the ball.
4. The triangle-shaped crystals are screwed in together into bigger triangles. SPARKLY.
5. Then workers put them onto the ball.
6. Wires are hidden inside.
7. And then it gets hoisted up.
- Justice Antonin Scalia, who served almost 30 years on the Supreme Court as one of its most prominent and influential conservative voices, died Saturday. He was 79.
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated for the first time since Donald Trump's win in New Hampshire, and it got intense.
- Bitterly cold temperatures and arctic winds began freezing large swathes of the U.S. Northeast ❄️