1. Hi, girls: Your laptop has half the functions and costs less.
2. Say hello to princesses, ponies, and mermaids. Sorry, no scientists and builders.
From the Toys R Us 2010 catalog.
3. Here’s a “diamond ring” for a “sweet baby girl” and a “saw” for a “busy baby boy.”
4. It’s playtime! Girls: Please clean the kitchen. Boys: Do science.
Dutch toy catalog.
5. In the 2009 Toys R Us catalog, the pink microscope gets the lowest magnification.
6. In 2010, it gets a mere fraction of the magnification. And costs way less.
7. “Do you think girls will get the memo about the kitchen? OK, well, let’s make it pink just to be sure.”
From a Sears catalogue.
8. Boys: guitars, war, roller coasters. Girls: pink home decor, baking.
9. Here’s the boys’ stuff in Australian store Myers’ catalog.
10. Important news: This cleaning trolley is for “girls only.”
12. Merry Christmas! Please enjoy your respective sewing machines and cool robot things.
14. The war of the “arty, silly” boys and the “puzzly, pretty” girls.
15. Happy holidays! Girls, per this Pottery Barn Kids catalog, it’s time to make tea in the kitchen. And then have a tea party.
The boys, of course, have more diverse interests: They’re permitted to play with trucks, trains, dinosaurs, and telescopes.
- France and Russia have agreed to coordinate their airstrikes with the U.S. against ISIS. ›
- Russia's athletic federation has accepted its suspension after a report found evidence of "widespread doping." ›
- Adele's record-breaking album "25" has now sold more than 3 million copies in the U.S. ›