2. Say hello to princesses, ponies, and mermaids. Sorry, no scientists and builders.
From the Toys R Us 2010 catalog.
3. Here’s a “diamond ring” for a “sweet baby girl” and a “saw” for a “busy baby boy.”
4. It’s playtime! Girls: Please clean the kitchen. Boys: Do science.
Dutch toy catalog.
5. In the 2009 Toys R Us catalog, the pink microscope gets the lowest magnification.
6. In 2010, it gets a mere fraction of the magnification. And costs way less.
7. “Do you think girls will get the memo about the kitchen? OK, well, let’s make it pink just to be sure.”
From a Sears catalogue.
8. Boys: guitars, war, roller coasters. Girls: pink home decor, baking.
9. Here’s the boys’ stuff in Australian store Myers’ catalog.
12. Merry Christmas! Please enjoy your respective sewing machines and cool robot things.
14. The war of the “arty, silly” boys and the “puzzly, pretty” girls.
15. Happy holidays! Girls, per this Pottery Barn Kids catalog, it’s time to make tea in the kitchen. And then have a tea party.
The boys, of course, have more diverse interests: They’re permitted to play with trucks, trains, dinosaurs, and telescopes.
- President Obama apologized to Doctors Without Borders for the airstrike that killed 22 people at a clinic in Afghanistan. ›
- The U.S. Coast Guard said it will suspend the search for the crew of El Faro, the cargo ship that went missing in the Caribbean during Hurricane Joaquin last week. ›
- Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich, and Aziz Sancar won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for figuring out how cells repair DNA. ›