1. When you inevitably have to do all the holiday chores:
- 2 oz rum OR whiskey
- your favorite store-bought eggnog
Mix it up in your favorite cup and sprinkle with grated nutmeg.
2. When your uncle starts a heated political debate at the dinner table:
- 1½ oz tequila
- 1 oz cream
- ½ oz blue curaçao
- 1 oz chocolate liqueur
- ½ oz crème de menthe
Shake and strain into an ice-filled glass.
3. When you need to get away from all the pandemonium:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp chocolate liqueur
- 1 drop of peppermint extract
- whiskey (optional but highly recommended)
Whisk in saucepan over medium heat. Top with peppermint whipped cream, boozy marshmallows, or a candy cane if desired.
4. When you need a bright refresher during lulls in the day:
- ½ oz triple sec
- 3 oz cranberry juice
Stir well, then fill to the brim with champagne.
5. When you need to top off your evening with something deep and rich:
- 1 Russian imperial stout
- 1 glass of port wine
Mix it, serve it. Add sambuca if you’re adventurous.
6. When your extended family wants to know the intimate details of your love life:
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup apple brandy
- 1 bottle sparkling cider
Mix and garnish with sliced red apple.
7. When you’re fantasizing about being somewhere else:
How about cozy Scandinavia?
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup port wine
- 1 bottle inexpensive dry red wine
- lemon peel
- mulling spices
- blanched almonds
Soak raisins in akvavit for 30 min.
Bowl water with mulling spices for 1 minute, then let stand for 10 minutes. Keep the solution warm and add red wine, raisins, and almonds. Add sugar to taste. Take it off the heat and add port wine. Serve immediately.
8. When it’s time to relive embarrassing stories from your childhood:
- ¼ cup gin
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp rosemary simple syrup
- ⅓ cup club soda
Mix, then garnish with a sprig of rosemary! Try a splash of pomegranate liqueur for a colorful twist.
9. When you need to warm up after outdoor festivities:
- 2 oz dark rum
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pat of butter
- 2-3 oz hot water
Place butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a mug or coffee glass. Muddle, then pour in rum and hot water. Stir. Top with another pat of butter if you wish!
10. When your cousin regifts you the same gift you got them last year:
- 2 oz chili-infused vodka
- 2 oz chocolate liqueur
Shake and pour into martini glass. Rim with cocoa powder and cayenne pepper, and top with sweet whipped cream.
And when you just need to sip something unusually delicious:
- 3 teacups Hendrick’s Gin
- 3 teacups Madeira wine
- 3 cloves
- a pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 large teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 6 large lemon twists
- 1 small slice orange
- 3 big chunks fresh pineapple
- 4 large spoons honey
- lemon juice
- dash water
Combine all of the ingredients in a small pot and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Pour into a teapot and serve hot in teacups with some gingerbread on the side.
Please enjoy the unusual responsibly.
HENDRICK’S GIN, 44% ALC./VOL. ©2013 IMPORTED BY WILLIAM GRANT & SONS, INC. NEW YORK, NY.
Great cocktails start with responsible measuring.