1. For starters, the tower.
Blackpool Tower is probably the world’s greatest tower within a mile of the sea. Even if it is knock-off, it’s a superb knock-off. Paris is just being greedy with those extra 166 metres.
2. The ballroom at the tower has been used in Strictly Come Dancing.
The final of the show was held in the Tower Ballroom between 2009 and 2011.
5. And clearly the best pleasure beach.
Suck it, Great Yarmouth.
6. With proper wooden rollercoasters.
The Big Dipper was built in 1923, and Richard Rodriguez rode it for 2,000 hours in 2000 to break his own Guinness World Record.
8. The nightlife may not be very classy, but it’s certainly fun.
9. And there’s nowhere better to hold your hen do.
10. But even Blackpool is too classy for this lot.
Blackpool Council recently refused to allow an episode of Geordie Shore to be filmed in the town.
12. It turned an art-deco cinema into what is now one of the largest all-male burlesque shows in the country.
13. And is the true home of rock.
No matter what Brian May has to say about Brighton.
14. If you’re feeling peckish, nowhere does fish and chips like Blackpool.
15. It’s home to the Empress Ballroom.
The beautiful Victorian ballroom is part of the Grade II-listed Winter Gardens complex.
16. Which was the location for The White Stripes’ Under Blackpool Lights DVD.
The venue has also hosted Queen, Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, and many others.
17. And where Arcade Fire made this bizarre entrance when they played there last year.
18. Then there’s the darts.
The Empress Ballroom has hosted the World Matchplay darts tournament every year since 1994.
19. Blackpool Zoo.
21. And the Sandcastle. With its 18 slides.
It’s the best place to host childhood birthday parties. And most grown-up birthday parties too.
22. And let’s not forget the illuminations, which are basically Christmas lights on steroids.
The Blackpool illuminations get switched on during the last weekend of August and run for most of the winter.
- The U.S. will release Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard after 30 years. The move isn't tied to the Iran nuclear deal, American officials say.
- Officials released new footage proving Sandra Bland was "alive and well" when her mugshot was taken. The release aims to counter social media rumors that she was deceased in the photo.
- The NFL has upheld Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's four-game suspension for his alleged involvement with the deflation of footballs 🏈