AP source: Calif. driver's license naming Christopher Dorner found in burned cabin with body: apne.ws/Zai8JG -KM
1. UPDATE 6: Dorner’s California driver’s license was found in the cabin. LAPD still haven’t confirmed his death.
LAPD Commander Andrew Smith dispels rumors of Dorner’s death at police headquarters, Tuesday, Feb. 12.
3. UPDATE 5: Charred human remains were found in the cabin. Officials have yet to identify the body as Dorner’s.
A frame grab from KNBC4 TV aerial footage shows smoke and fire from a cabin where fugitive former Los Angeles police officer Christopher Dorner is believed to be barricaded in Big Bear, California, Feb. 12, 2013.
NBC reported on-air during the Today show that sources told the network the body was Dorner’s. In a statement, the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department said “forensic means” would be used to identify the body.
5. UPDATE 4: Despite reports from several news outlets that Christopher Dorner’s body was pulled from the smoldering cabin, LAPD officials say that the cabin is still too hot to enter and that the reports are not true.
Christopher Dorner is seen on a surveillance video at an Orange County hotel on Jan. 28, 2013, in this still image released by the Irvine Police Department.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is thanking San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputies for their bravery after a man believed to be fugitive ex-cop Christopher Dorner barricaded himself inside a cabin.
A law enforcement official told The Associated Press Dorner never came out of the California mountain cabin, and a single shot was heard inside before the cabin was engulfed in flames.
10. UPDATE 3: The Associated Press is reporting Dorner was never seen leaving the burning cabin, and a single shot was heard from inside.
BIG BEAR, Calif. (AP) — The man believed to be fugitive ex-cop Christopher Dorner never came out of a California mountain cabin, and a single shot was heard inside before the cabin was engulfed in flames, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press.
The law enforcement official requested anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.
12. UPDATE 2: The cabin is now completely engulfed in flames, with unconfirmed reports Dorner is dead.
16. UPDATE 1: Black smoke billows from cabin where Dorner is alleged to be holed up.
18. Original Post
Redlands Police officers man a blockade near the entrance to the San Bernardino National Forest in southern California after Christopher Dorner, a fugitive ex-Los Angeles cop sought in three killings, engaged in a shootout with authorities that wounded two officers in the San Bernardino Mountains near Big Bear Lake, Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013.
BIG BEAR, Calif. (AP) — A fugitive ex-Los Angeles police officer sought in three killings was believed barricaded in a cabin Tuesday after a furious gunbattle with police in the snow-covered mountains of Southern California, authorities said, the culmination of an intensive manhunt that left a region on edge for nearly a week.
Two officers were injured and airlifted to a hospital, with the Los Angeles Times reporting that one is now dead, since confirmed by NBC Los Angeles.
A frame grab from KNBC4 TV aerial footage shows smoke from a police signal rising near a cabin where fugitive former Los Angeles police officer Christopher Dorner is believed to be barricaded in Big Bear, California February 12, 2013.
Officers have been swarming the snow-covered Big Bear region since Thursday, when they found the burned-out pickup truck of Christopher Dorner. The former Navy reservist killed a former police captain’s daughter, her fiance, and a Riverside officer and injured two other officers, police said, promising to bring “warfare” to Los Angeles police and their family members.
But, until Tuesday, authorities didn’t know whether Dorner was still near Big Bear or had fled, and thousands of officers were searching for him across three states and Mexico.
At a mid-afternoon news conference, LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith urged the fugitive to surrender.
“Enough is enough,” Smith said. “It’s time for you to turn yourself in. It’s time to end the bloodshed.”
The developments in the nearly weeklong massive manhunt began about 12:20 p.m. Tuesday when deputies in the Big Bear area got a report of a stolen vehicle in the area, the sheriff’s office said. The people whose vehicle was stolen described the suspect as looking similar to Dorner.
When authorities found the vehicle, the suspect, believed to be Dorner, ran into the forest and barricaded himself inside a cabin. A short time later there was an exchange of gunfire between law enforcement and the suspect.
U.S. Forest Service spokesman John Miller said the gunfight began with California Department of Fish and Wildlife game wardens at 12:42 p.m. Tuesday, which is about 20 minutes after a vehicle was reported stolen nearby.
After the initial exchange, there was a second battle with San Bernardino County Sheriff’s deputies, two of whom were wounded, he said. One has died; the other is in surgery and expected to survive.
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
This guy is basically Harvey Dent. Dedicated to serving justice; gets screwed over; starts murdering innocent people. And the fact that the first person he murdered was the daughter of the officer who supported him in his accusations of police brutality against another officer, besides being horribly senseless, is oddly reminiscent of Two-Face threatening to murder Commissioner Gordon’s children in front of him in The Dark Knight. I hate to seem flippant by making a pop culture reference while discussing such a deadly serious situation, but damned if it’s not an apt comparison.
- xlinzymmm thinks Rogue Cop Chase Ends In Flames is OMG
- BANNOCK thinks Rogue Cop Chase Ends In Flames is OMG & WTF
- thedailybeast.com readers just made Rogue Cop Chase Ends In Flames hotter
- elvisdepressley thinks Rogue Cop Chase Ends In Flames is WTF
- oddee.com readers just made Rogue Cop Chase Ends In Flames hotter
- reddit.com readers just made Rogue Cop Chase Ends In Flames hotter
- aprild3 Rogue Cop Chase Ends In Flames
- digg.com readers just made Rogue Cop Chase Ends In Flames hotter
- Rogue Cop Chase Ends In Flames is starting to get hot on Facebook Share It
- micaelal thinks Police Officer Dead In Chris Dorner S... is WTF & OMG
- “chris dorner” is a hot search term for this page
- Trebor thinks Police Officer Dead In Chris Dorner S... is LOL
- Police Officer Dead In Chris Dorner S... is starting to get hot on Twitter Tweet It
- Aaron C. thinks Police Officer Dead In Chris Dorner S... is OMG
- Museviolet thinks Police Officer Dead In Chris Dorner S... is WTF & OMG
- andrea thinks Police Officer Dead In Chris Dorner S... is WTF & OMG
I am from this area and all the schools and resorts are on lock down. At the moment I am terrified of Christopher Dorner. When people say that San Bernardino Sheriff’s deputies are keeping everything secret and that they should release more info, they are not thinking. The Sheriffs keep this info off the radios because Christopher is obviously listening to the radio. Let us keep in mind the brave officers who have been killed in this manhunt. For an even smaller request please pray for my family and all the other terrified citizens of this area. -A scared citizen
Might also pray for the innocent victims of the police department like the women who were shot down in “mistaken identity” and countless others who were shot for driving the same truck…not condoning him for his actions of murdering the cops but the cops are definitely in the wrong here too.