1. 1. Nur Tatar, Taekwondo, 1,500 Calories A Day
Nur Tatar, 20, is preparing to compete for Turkey in the London 2012 Olympic Games. This is her first time competing in the Olympics and she is on a strict diet to shed several pounds to reach the exact weight category in which she will fight. She has reduced her daily calorie intake to 1,500 calories.
3. 2. Merve Aydin, Track, 3,000 Calories A Day
Merve Aydin, 22, will run at the Olympics for the first time this year. Her daily intake is 3,000 calories. Although she is rigorously training for the Games, she remains guarded on the outcome. “It is more important for me to realize my true potential and limitations. And do the best I can,” says Aydin. “I work hard and keep a careful diet.”
5. 3. Elif Jale Yesilirmak, Wrestling, 3,000 Calories A Day
Elif Jale Yesilirmak, 26, sticks to a 3,000 calorie-a-day diet. “Instead of red meat I generally eat salmon,” says Yesilirmak. “I believe fish is more healthy and nutritious. And also, lots of water. I drink a minimum of five liters of water every day.”
7. 4. Fatih Avan, Javelin, 3,500 Calories A Day
Fatih Avan, 23, made the world’s second best throw of 2012 but the Olympic Games have a special place in his heart. “I may have become an elite athlete with my good performances, but I can only be a great athlete if I can win an Olympic medal,” he says. Avan complements his rigorous training schedule with a nutritional program which gives him a daily intake of 3,500 calories. His diet is mainly protein-based. “A good diet is essential for power. A correct and consistent diet proves its value in my training.”
9. 5. Mete Binay, Weightlifting, 3,500 Calories A Day
Mete Binay, 27, is a world champion weightlifter and his daily diet is 3,500 calories. He drinks at last two glasses of milk every night. His diet is largely composed of red meat. He consumes plenty of sweet desserts everyday and takes care never to miss a full breakfast. Binay is also keen on organic food. Shortly before competitions he begins to supplement his diet with nutiritional aids and vitamin pills.
- All charges have been dismissed against a popular protest organizer in Chicago. He was arrested Tuesday during protests over a video showing the police shooting of a black teen. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›