2. The night before school starts, read a book together that will calm your kid’s nerves.
3. If you’re cool with them wearing nail polish, give your child a school-themed manicure.
5. Play your child’s favorite song to lure them out of bed and then let a miniature dance party ensue.
Whether your kid has been counting down the days until they return to school or totally dreading it, there’s no doubt that listening to their favorite song will give them some incentive to wake up.
Bonus: Here are some helpful tips on readjusting your child’s sleep schedule before school starts.
6. Get them psyched to get dressed by giving them a new pair of socks.
Snazzy! Available here.
7. Serve up a special breakfast.
9. Or, if you don’t feel like getting up early to cook, have a mini smoothie prepping party with your kids the night before.
Let them pick out a few ingredients, pack them in plastic bags, place in the freezer, and blend the following morning.
Here are eight easy three-ingredient smoothie recipes.
10. Sneak a small gift into your kid’s backpack.
Nothing too extravagant or distracting. Like, maybe these Colored Smencils?
“Colored Smencils are made from recycled newspapers and are infused with natural scents that waft up gently as you use them.”
12. Snap a quick photo before heading off to school.
13. Since you’ve already got the chalk out, you might as well draw a hopscotch path leading out from the front door to the car.
Or, at least to the end of the driveway or sidewalk, if they’re taking the bus.
14. Pack an unconventional note in their lunch bag.
Turns out, if you scratch a message on a banana, it stays mostly invisible for an hour or so and then appears.
16. Or make some personalized fruit labels.
A slightly more discreet way to show your love.
Simply write on blank stationary labels with some fine-tip markers.
17. If your child prefers apple slices, use this handy trick to keep them from browning.
19. Slip a doughnut into their lunch.
OK, not an actual doughnut, but a special PB&J sandwich garnished with sprinkles.
Learn how to make it here.
20. Hang up a celebratory banner.
Download this printable one for free here.
- BuzzFeed News looks at the fourth anniversary of Mark Duggan's death, an unarmed black man who was shot by police in north London. The shooting sparked England-wide riots in 2011.