1. Add a pattern to a basic rug.
With some paint and dedication, you can make a basic, cheap rug look much more upscale.
2. Craft a rope bowl.
All you need to make a similar bowl is rope and a hot glue gun.
3. Build a pendant chandelier.
Believe it or not, this copycat chandelier achieves its ethereal beauty with pieces of wax paper (don’t worry, they won’t melt or catch on fire).
Learn how to make it here.
4. Sew a striped shower curtain.
Make a nearly identical shower curtain by sewing together strips of basic cotton.
5. Build a tufted headboard.
While this project is probably not best for beginners, it’ll help you rest easy knowing you don’t need to drop hundreds of dollars on the headboard of your dreams.
6. Sew some floor poufs.
If you can sew a straight line, then you can probably sew some pouf floor cushions. They’re much easier and cheaper to make than you’d think!
7. Turn an old dresser into a piece of statement furniture.
You can achieve this effect with a sander and a few different shades of stain.
8. Make some decorative wooden spheres.
An unlike way to use embroidery hoops.
9. Build your own geometric daybed.
Does require some carpentry expertise and/or the help of a handy friend.
10. Create some reclaimed wood shelves.
The original shelves are meant to look old and beat up, so why pay more to buy them new? In order to achieve a distressed looked, this tutorial involves some very cathartic banging on pieces of wood with a hammer.
11. Build a shell pendant chandelier.
You’d never guess that something so glam was mostly made from wax paper and an old lamp shade.
12. Transform old vases by adding a mercury glass effect.
Achieve the look by using metallic spray paint and vinegar.
13. Make a chevron print carpet.
All you need is paint and tape to achieve this look.
14. Create a tiered plant stand from old dishes.
15. Build a geometric cutout headboard.
You’d never guess that this headboard is mostly made from decorative doormats.
16. Make some chalkboard planters.
Simply paint a terracotta pot with some chalkboard paint.
17. Transform a basic table with a dip painted effect.
A super easy way to turn a basic side table into something special.
18. Turn a glass vase into a lamp.
BEHOLD: the transformational powers of a hardware store lamp kit.
19. Turn a wooden stump into a beautiful side table.
If you can mange to procure a tree stump for free, this project will cost you nearly nothing.
20. Sew a pintuck duvet cover.
Sewing directions here.
21. Build some industrial pipe curtain rods.
The West Elm rods are meant to look like industrial piping, so why not cut out the middle man and make your own out of pipes themselves?
23. Monogram your dish towels.
For the cost of a single monogrammed dish towel, add your mark to a whole bunch of ‘em.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Two University of Cincinnati officers who arrived on scene shortly after Samuel Dubose was fatally shot have been placed on leave, and their body camera footage has been released.
- An ultra-Orthodox man stabbed six people at Jerusalem's gay pride parade on Thursday. He has been apprehended.
- Atlanta police are searching for two white men who were caught on security cameras placing Confederate flags at a historic church.