Just because you’re serving up a store bought cake doesn’t mean it has to look boring.
1. Stick on some celebratory bunting.
Available here in lots of other colors, too!
2. Adorn your cake with balloons.
Q: Who will not be delighted by the presence of miniature balloons?
A: No one!
Make them from water balloons and wooden skewers. Instructions here.
3. Turn Mike & Ikes and toothpicks into tiny popsicles.
These secretly easy to make toppers look best when you use a combination of the classic and tropical flavor varieties.
4. Turn plastic animals into a set of metallic toppers.
For the refined zoo-lover in your life.
5. Use merengue cookies to create the illusion of piped frosting.
If the thought of using a piping bag makes you want to take a nap, try plopping on some store-bough merengue cookies along the edges to get a similar look.
Place them in color order to create the illusion of a 3D rainbow.
More info here.
An easy alternative to sparkler candles, if you’re serving kids.
11. Turn a box of powdered donuts into a dozen DIAMOND RINGS!
Okay, technically not a cake, but just as delightful.
All you need to make them is this free template and some glitter glue.
12. Stick some lollipops in cupcakes.
You can even line with patterned paper straws, if you’re feeling fancy.
13. Add a giant paper number.
If you have paper, tape, scissors, and some sort of stick, you have everything you need to make this topper. The perfect last minute decoration.
More instructions here.
16. Make candy necklaces look surprisingly impressive.
Learn how here.
Now, you’re ready to serve the BEST CAKE EVER!
We've got your WKND covered.
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- Kyle Jean-Baptiste, the first black man to play Jean Valjean on Broadway in "Les Misérables," died Friday. He was 21. ›