You’ve been thinking about it for a long time and you FINALLY decided to get a credit card.
1. Expectation: You’ve been dreaming of this day for your whole life and it’s finally here! It’s gonna rule!
Reality: It turns out to be a little anticlimactic.
2. Expectation: You’ll be extra diligent about keeping track of your finances.
Reality: You get lazy and just start swiping willy-nilly.
You’re sorta keeping track.
3. Expectation: You have a great dinner with your friends and you’re ready to pay your half of the bill. Put it on plastic, waiter.
Reality: Oh, credit card roulette? What? I have to pay for everyone’s meal now?
4. Expectation: Now that you have credit you can finally rent your dream apartment.
Reality: Oh, you won’t be able to pay your bill if you move? I guess you’re staying in that basement apartment for awhile.
Your roach “roommates” are really psyched about it.
5. Expectation: You can maybe at least afford a sweet entertainment set-up…
Reality: You reached your monthly spending limit already. Where did it even go?
6. Expectation: Now that you have a credit card you can go out and party every night!
Reality: You accrue too much debt too quickly…then a “party” is some potato chips and your laptop.
8. Expectation: You want to share you new card with the whole world!
Reality: You didn’t actually blur out the card number or anything. Welcome to identity theft.
9. We know it’s stressful, but there’s no need to panic. Just figure out a financial plan and everything will stay under control.
It’s good for your credit score to keep a charge card around and to pay all your bills on time.