1. Video footage apparently showing a MiG-21 fighter jet crashing in a residential area of Tobruk, Libya, has emerged.
Agence France-Presse reported that the plane belonged to renegade general Khalifa Haftar’s forces.
An official who spoke to AFP said: “The pilot was killed when his aircraft hit a building during a demonstration flight”. The source said the co-pilot survived, but a child on the ground had died and several people had been injured.
However, Reuters reported that there had been three deaths and nine injuries.
The pilot has been identified as Rafa Al-Farani. Farani was from Benghazi, but had been living in Tobruk.
An air force officer who spoke to The Libya Herald said the plane had crashed due to a technical failure during a flyover in honor of another pilot who had been killed in at a plane crash a few days ago.
2. The full video can be seen here:
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty, his attorney said. He is accused of killing nine people at a Charleston church in June.
- The World Health Organization says that an interim analysis of a potential Ebola vaccine shows "100% efficacy in individuals."
- Beijing won its bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics. It's the first city to host both the summer and winter games.