1. Senior officials have said that the U.S. has begun directly providing weapons to Kurdish forces in Iraq, who have made gains against Islamic militants, the Associated Press reports.
Families fleeing violence in northern Iraq arrive at a Kurdish checkpoint.
2. The officials spoke to AP on the condition of anonymity, as they were not authorized to discuss the operation in public.
They revealed the administration is close to approving plans for the Pentagon to arm the Kurds.
The U.S. military had recently been helping to facilitate weapons deliveries to the Kurds from the Iraqis, who had been losing ground to the “Islamic State”.
Previously, the U.S. had insisted on only selling arms to the Iraqi government.
3. The officials refused to provide more specific details about what the weapons are and which agency would be providing them.
Historically, the CIA has carried out similar arming deals.
- World leaders are gathering in Paris for the United Nations summit on climate change 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›