1. Senior officials have said that the U.S. has begun directly providing weapons to Kurdish forces in Iraq, who have made gains against Islamic militants, the Associated Press reports.
Families fleeing violence in northern Iraq arrive at a Kurdish checkpoint.
2. The officials spoke to AP on the condition of anonymity, as they were not authorized to discuss the operation in public.
They revealed the administration is close to approving plans for the Pentagon to arm the Kurds.
The U.S. military had recently been helping to facilitate weapons deliveries to the Kurds from the Iraqis, who had been losing ground to the “Islamic State”.
Previously, the U.S. had insisted on only selling arms to the Iraqi government.
3. The officials refused to provide more specific details about what the weapons are and which agency would be providing them.
Historically, the CIA has carried out similar arming deals.
- Mullah Omar — leader of the Taliban — has died, according to multiple reports. The Taliban has not responded to the reports.
- Officials released new footage proving Sandra Bland was "alive and well" when her mugshot was taken. The release aims to counter social media rumors that she was deceased in the photo.
- Michel Platini, the current UEFA president, will be a candidate in the 2016 FIFA election to replace Sepp Blatter ⚽️