2. Step 1: Start with whole spices.
To make the best chai ever, start with whole spices and grind them yourself (except for the ginger; use ground ginger). This also saves money because you’ll have a bunch of chai spice mixture to make tons of chai whenever you want.
You’ll need: black peppercorns, whole cinnamon sticks, ground ginger, cardamom pods, whole cloves, and whole nutmeg to make your chai masala seasoning mix. You’ll also need milk, water, and black tea like Ceylon or Assam later on to make the Chai tea. ‘
3. Step 2: Grind.
To grind the spices just whiz them in a coffee grinder …
4. Step 3: Sift out any large pieces.
Sift each spice with a fine-mesh sifter and return any large pieces of spices to the grinder to powder them further.
5. Step 4: Combine the ground spices.
6. Step 5: Bring the ground spices to a simmer with water, milk, and some black tea.
Once it comes to a simmer, cover and remove from the heat. Allow to steep for 5 minutes. Strain. Sweeten to Taste. Drink. Be warm. Feel happy.
We've got your WKND covered.
- U.S. President Barack Obama visited Oregon on Friday to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›
- A judge halted all eight scheduled executions in Arkansas. Inmates are challenging a law allowing the state to keep the source of its execution drugs a secret. ›