1. Ancho Chili-Cinnamon Chocolate Bark
Makes enough for 3 gifts
1 large ancho chili
1 whole star anise
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
2-inch cinnamon stick
2/3 cups pistachios
2/3 cups cashews, very lightly crushed
12 ounces dark bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup dried cherries
Kosher salt, or sea salt
To make the spice mix, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Place first 5 ingredients on a baking sheet and place in oven. Toast until fragrant or about 10 min.
Remove stems and majority of seeds from the anchos. Place all spices in a spice grinder or coffee grinder and pulverize. You may need to grind spices in batches.
Toast the nuts by placing them on the baking sheet and put in the oven. Check after 10 minutes. When done, remove from oven and let cool.
Place ¾ of the chocolate in a bowl and slowly melt the chocolate, either in the microwave checking and stirring it every 25 seconds or over a double broiler on the stovetop. When all of the chocolate is melted, take it off of the heat and add in the remaining chocolate, stir until it is completely melted. Add one to two teaspoons of the spice mix. Add one at a time and taste; add more if you want it to be spicier.
Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. Spread out the nuts and cherries, reserving a few of the nuts to decorate the top. Sprinkle salt over the nuts and cherries.
Pour the chocolate onto the pan, covering the nuts and cherries in an even layer. Add remaining nuts to the top of chocolate and press them into the chocolate.
Put in fridge and allow to cool for 45 min. Break into pieces and keep in a sealed container in the fridge.
2. White Chocolate Snowflakes
Salted peanuts make these grown-up Rice Krispies especially addictive.
3. Bread and Buttermilk Fudge
A great way to step it up from regular fudge.
4. Chocolate Swirl Cinnamon Marshmallows
Put them in hot chocolate!
5. Fudgy Bourbon Balls
Eat these with egg nog, enjoy a good night’s sleep.
6. Pine Nut Brittle with Rosemary
Your brittle this year has a sexy Italian thing going on.
7. Cinnamon Sugar Breakfast Puffs
Spiced and nutty from brown butter, these are some seriously good donut holes.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated current Britain's Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?