1. This is Luke (left) and Adam Monastero. The brothers are both gay, and a month ago they came out to their parents together and filmed the reaction.
3. Before Luke and Adam came out they set up a secret camera in their kitchen.
4. When they made their announcement their parents initially reacted with shock, but they were respectful and believed their sons.
They asked questions – if their sons were sure, if they’d ever been with girls – but were calm the whole way through. Adam talked about how he felt that keeping his sexuality secret had affected his relationship with his parents, who listened without judgement.
5. One of the most touching moments was when Adam wondered if being gay was in their genes. And his mum said this.
6. At the end of the video they sent this message out to their mum and dad.
Speaking to BuzzFeed about their relationship with their parents, Adam and Luke said: “Now that everything is in the open we have never been closer so it’s great.”
They say their parents love the video and are very proud of their achievements. “We told them about our channel shortly after we came out to them, and they were blown away and proud that we were doing this, so there was no issue there. They love reading all the nice comments.”
7. Watch the full video here.
Since making the video they have come out to their male friends, and again had a positive experience, “Although they were shocked, they didn’t care at all, and they are all completely fine with it. We feel we have an even closer friendship now because there’s nothing left to hide.”
Adam and Luke have been receiving fanmail since posting the video. “We love the positive responses and we especially love to hear that we are giving other people courage to come out of the closet themselves,” they say. “It’s an amazing feeling knowing that our videos and helping people.”