3. Stubby Rose to the Rank of “Sergeant” and Everyone Called Him “Sergeant Stubby”
4. Smoky Barely Made Corporal, Which Seems Like a Clear Case of Sexism Because…
5. She Could Fly And Do All Sorts of Other Crazy Stuff!
she was only 4 pounds!
6. Then Again, Stubby Did Win more Medals
Stubby won 18 Medals in total!
Smoky won 8
7. But That’s Because Stubby Fought in More Battles
9. This One Time He Saved His Troops from a Mustard Gas Attack!
10. And This Other Time He Sniffed Out a German Spy and Took Him Down All By Himself!!!
11. And He Saved An Entire Village in France During The Battle of Château-Thierry With His Bare Paws!
13. She Saved Her Owner’s Life By Telling Him To “Get Down!”
And everyone else died! Then he started Calling her his “angel from a foxhole” because that’s where he found her. A foxhole!
14. And She Helped Build a Key Allied Airfield by Threading a Wire Through a 70 Foot Long Pipe!
If little smoky hadn’t done this, it would have taken three days of digging, exposing over 250 men and 40 planes to enemy attack.
15. Like Some Straight Up Dogmando
16. And Yes, She PARACHUTED Behind Enemy Lines in a Custom Yorkie Parachute!!!
17. When Other Military Dogs Jump Out of Planes, It’s Always a Tandem
19. Stubby Had The Best Sense of Smell
You wanna know how!? One time he almost died from a gas attack, and ever since then his nose got extra sensitive and he could smell it first and worn all the soilders before it was too late!!!
20. He Also Had Super Sonic Hearing
So he could hear gunfire way before it was close, and he could identify English speaking men on the battlefield and would wait when them and bark until paramedics came!
21. But Smoky had Survival Skills that Rival Those of James Franco in 127 Hours
She survived 150 air raids in New Guinea, including a kamikaze attack aboard a ship, and a typhoon in Okinawa.
22. Unlike Other “War Dogs” Smoky Never Had any Vetrinary Care
23. And She Didn’t Even Have Dog Food! She Lived on Air and Table Scraps!
24. And Smoky could do the MOST INSANE TRICKS EVER!!!!
25. You know Norman, The Dog That Rides Around On a Scooter? Well Smoky Invented That Trick
26. She Could Also Walk On a Tightrope While Blindfolded!!! Try Doing that Norman!
27. And She Could Spell Her Own Name From a Jumble of Letters! Norman Can’t Spell!
29. But His Trick Was a Big Hit With All The Soilders — He Knew How To Salute!!!
It’s actually how he got to stay in the army. His owner had smuggled him over and when all the other people in charge said Stubby had to go, his owner taught him how to salute and then everyone loved him because he was a dog that could SALUTE and he got to stay!!!
30. Tricks were Beneath Stubby Because He Was Really, Really Smart, And More of An Intellectual
31. He Was First Found Wandering Around the Yale Campus, Deep In Thought
32. And He Knew How to Speak English, French, and German. You Could Say He Was a “Dog of Letters”
34. She Liked to Say that She Earned Her Degree in the Jungles of New Guinea
35. After Their Wars, Stubby & Smoky Were Welcomed Back as Heroes. And They Became Pretty Famous
36. Smoky Went To Hollywood
Where she got her own live television called, “Castles in the Air.” She even had her own drum!!!
37. And She Became the First Service Dog! She Invented the Whole Idea of a Service Dog!
38. And She Saved the Breed of Yorkshire Terriers from Total Obscurity, and Made them Super Popular!!!!
40. Stubby Tried to Stay More Down to Earth After the War. He Did Lots of Normal Things Like Join The YMCA
41. And Amazing Things — Like Meeting a Ton of Presidents!
44. Where He Became The Georgetown Mascot
46. Both Stubby and Smoky Lived Long Civilian Lives
50. And Her Owner Wrote a Really Cool Memoir Called “Yorkie Doodle Dandy”
51. Stubby’s Got a Book Too
…by a little know company, National Geographic!
- Shannon Miles, who is suspected of ambushing and killing a Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy, was arrested Saturday and charged with capital murder. ›
- For the first time in history, there are three major hurricanes in the Pacific east of the International Dateline at the same time. ›
- Oliver Sacks, the famed neurologist and author, died Sunday from cancer. He was 82. ›