1. When Edgar Wright said, “I look a bit like Jesus in this.”
The small gallery was packed to capacity as we stood in the middle of Gallery 1988 in West Hollywood.
“This is an amazing painting,” Wright said when I asked if he’d seen the ice cream painting. “But maybe this needs to go in our office. I think I’ll try to convince my producer to buy it. I’m not sure I could have a painting of myself in my home.”
2. When this Shaun of the Dead statue held a cricket bat like he was ready to kill some zombies.
3. When a Wright fan created this World’s End art, even though the movie isn’t out yet.
“What’s also amazing is the people who’ve done World’s End art, have done it based on the trailer alone. Which I think is pretty incredible,” Wright said. “It’s actually completely bang on in terms of the actual movie,” he pointed to the painting.
The World’s End premieres this Friday, by the way.
4. When a painting of Simon Pegg was behind the REAL Simon Pegg.
“I actually said, if we do it the week of release, Simon and Nick will be here as well,” Wright said of the art show.
5. When Nick Frost gave an autograph to this awesome fan.
6. And when Nick and Simon were in the same room as these enormous LEGO versions of their heads.
7. “I asked the artist, Brandon, how long they took,” Wright explained. “And he said two months.”
8. When this Scott Pilgrim vs. the World fan wailed on his guitar.
9. When this Wright fan flaunted her swag.
10. And when they both came together to talk about their fandom, and fell in love*.
11. When Wright admitted that he bought this Shaun of the Dead board game.
“I just thought, so much effort had gone into it, and there’s only one,” he told me. “There’s pieces and everything.”
12. And has forever plans for it: “I think it’s something to put out on the coffee table and just have out forever. I think it’s so beautiful.”
13. When Zombie Shaun came for a visit.
14. When Scott Pilgrim and his fire sword came out to fight the world.
15. When this homage to Spaced happened.
16. When we saw this poster for Scott Pilgrim’s band.
17. When these stitched tributes to Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead popped up.
18. When Wright’s game face met this fan for a photo.
“My parents were art teachers, and I don’t draw as much as I used to,” Wright said. “I only really draw when I’m making the movies. I do concept art and storyboards.”
19. When Gallery 1988 was packed at every moment during the 7 to 10 p.m. opening.
“It’s not a gallery,” a man outside told me. “It’s a walk-in closet.” He was right, it was a small space with a lot of people. But some of those people included Wright, Pegg, and Frost. So it’s the best walk-in closet ever, basically.
20. And when the long line to get in started on Poinsettia… a block away.
“About six years ago, I came to one of the Crazy For Cult exhibitions, because Kevin Smith told me about it,” Wright said, explaining how he got involved with the show. “He said, ‘Do you know about Gallery 1988?’ He’d been down and seen a preview, and seen a painting of Shaun of the Dead. And he called me and says, ‘You’ve gotta get down here. you’re going to love it.’ And he was right.”
21. When there was an Edgar Wright piñata, and the gallery wanted him to smash it open.
“They want me to smash it to pieces, and I don’t know how to do it without trashing the place,” Wright laughed.
22. This awesome art.
23. This bro love art.
24. And this.
25. When Wright pointed at the red dots — which mean sold! — and proudly said, “Those are my reds.”
“The series of six is amazing, because it has all five of the films. There are two Shaun of the Dead ones, but I particularly like that he did one for my Don’t trailer.”
26. When we were able to see all of the manifestations of Nick and Simon on one canvas.
27. When this Spaced art was almost as cool as the movie … almost.
28. When Wright looked at Zombie Ed and said, “I love this as well. This is just beautiful.”
29. When Ed and Shaun fell in love.
The title of the piece: “Ooo You Make Me Live Now Honey”
30. When Shaun’s head exploded in a Wright colored universe, and this person’s hand freaked out over it.
31. When this representation of Tim Bisley happened.
32. When Shaun took a dart to the head.
33. And when Wright said this: “I find this all kind of overwhelming. It’s amazing.”
Oh, plus there’s that kid in the background who looks like he’s having the best night of his life.
- U.S. presidential candidates are making their final pitches before the New Hampshire primary, the second voting contest of the nominating season 🇺🇸
- At least 8 people are dead and 150 others injured after two trains collided in Bavaria, Germany, local police say.
- The Pentagon has confirmed that North Korea successfully launched a satellite into orbit on Sunday night.