1. Over 10 BILLION doughnuts are made every year in the U.S. alone.
2. During World War I, homesick soldiers in France were served doughnuts by Salvation Army volunteers to boost morale.
The female volunteers were known as “lassies,” and they made thousands of doughnuts fresh for soldiers. Reporting for duty was never so tasty.
3. The original name for doughnuts was “oily cakes.”
It’s allegedly what the Dutch called them when they brought their treat, olykoeks, to the U.S. in the 1800s.
4. The first doughnut machine was invented in New York City in 1920.
The inventor was a Russian refugee named Adolph Levitt. Let’s all have a moment of silence to commemorate his awesomeness.
5. Doughnuts didn’t always have that trademark hole in the center.
The holes appeared in the first half of the 19th century when bakers discovered that they allowed the pastry to cook more evenly.
6. The first Friday in June is National Doughnut Day.
The Salvation Army founded the delicious holiday in 1938 to raise money for charity. (Is it too soon to start celebrating?)
7. The Guinness World Record for most doughnuts eaten in one sitting is 49 doughnuts in eight minutes.
Held by Eric “Badlands” Booker. That’s commitment.
8. The biggest doughnut ever made was 16 feet long and 16 inches tall.
It was a jelly doughnut, and weighed in at 1.7 tons.
9. The French version of doughnut holes are called pet de nonne, which translates to “Nun’s Fart.”
The French doughnut was allegedly created when a nun in Marmoutier was preparing food and farted. The other nuns laughed so hard that she accidentally dropped a spoonful of dough in a pot of boiling water. Hey, at least farts are good for something!
10. Ever dunked a doughnut? You can thank Clark Gable for that.
The idea of dunking a doughnut in coffee really caught on thanks to the 1934 film It Happened One Night, where Gable teaches Claudette Colbert the “right way to do it.”
11. Dunkin’ Donuts sells the most doughnuts of any business worldwide.
It was founded in 1950 by William Rosenberg in Massachusetts.
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›