1. You owned one of these.
This game originated in the 1840s during the spiritualism movement. It was later patented in 1891 and sold as a toy for $1.50 a pop. It still terrifies impressionable tweens today.
2. You decided to try and read this terrifying book series.
DEFINITELY DO NOT TELL THESE STORIES IN THE DARK.
3. You went to a sleepover and played Bloody Mary.
Some say the game is based off of Queen Mary I, who’s historically known as “Bloody Mary,” while others have suggested that the ritual started as a way for women to see their future husband’s face in a mirror.
Either way, it’s still terrifying.
4. You also practiced some witchcraft with light as a feather, stiff as a board.
If you didn’t play this game at a sleepover, chances are you saw it in the movie The Craft. But it started out in London during the 17th century plague, when children chanted the words as a superstitious way to fend off disease.
6. Or you happened to catch the intro to Unsolved Mysteries.
7. You were afraid that drinking soda and eating Pop Rocks would kill you.
Did you know that this deadly combination killed* Little Mikey from the LIFE cereal ads?!
11. You wanted to see what a live eclipse was like, but were afraid of going blind.
13. You knew that at any moment, you could be sucked down an escalator and never heard from again. Ever.
16. There were monsters hiding under your bed.
What are all of these homeless monsters doing under our beds anyway?!
17. Kidnappers were lurking at every corner with delicious candy.
Damn you, candy van!!!
19. Vampires wanted to bite your young neck.
Tip: Pulling the bedsheets around your neck is a surefire way to prevent vampy bites.
20. You saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Judge Doom’s face haunted your dreams.
- Israeli officials have authorized police to seal off parts of Jerusalem after a wave of stabbings by Palestinians. ›
- The U.S. Democratic presidential candidates had their first debate of the 2016 election cycle on Tuesday night ?? ›
- The Chicago Cubs have defeated the St. Louis Cardinals to advance to the National League Championship Series ⚾️ ›