1. ‘Sup? This is a microorganism.
It’s a teeny-tiny, single-cell organism that lives inside your body.
2. Before you freak out that there is something living in you, just remember: There are, like, a billion of them living inside you.
In fact, you have 10 times more microrganisms than CELLS wiggling in, on, and around your body at this very moment.
3. Which means your so-called “human” body contains more microbial genes than human genes.
WHO EVEN ARE YOU?
Image by: Ayodhya Ouditt of NPR
4. So you’re actually less of a person and more of a big, fleshy bag full o’ microbes.
Yes, Michael. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes, yes, yes.
5. Your body is their Earth, kinda. Elbows are like the desert, for example.
Dry and without much life.
6. And your mouth is like a frickin’ rainforest.
Moist (yeah, I said it) and teeming with life in every nook ‘n’ cranny.
7. But don’t reach for that Listerine just yet, friend. We need these little buddies!
Microbes literally help KEEP US ALIVE. Your body would be a puddle of skin-goo without them!
8. The hardest-working microbes are in your gut. They help digest food and synthesize vitamins.
That’s why you ate that second pizza! You were just giving your little micropals something to do!
9. But all microbes have a role, and mostly that role includes keeping you alive.
Or do YOU exist to keep THEM alive??? Either way, we literally couldn’t live without them.
10. In fact, the only time you’re completely microbe-free is when you’re in your mother’s womb.
But thankfully you travel down a water slide of microorganisms when you leave her body, so you become colonized before you even take your first breath.
11. Once you’re colonized, your collection of microorganims is completely unique.
Your microbiome is specific to your body, making it more distinct than your own genetic makeup.
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›