1. Yu Darvish was cruising Monday with a perfect game in the sixth inning when he thought he had his 12th strikeout. Umpire Ron Kulpa thought otherwise.
2. Of course, you know where this is headed. Yu walked the next batter, losing the shot at perfection.
3. And catcher A.J. Pierzynski ran his mouth off and got ejected by Kulpa.
4. Yu kind of laughed off the whole thing because what can he really do when an umpire interrupts what was a really stellar pitching performance?
5. The coolest part of the whole thing was when Kulpa actually followed after Pierzynski and got in his face. Very professional.
6. Here’s the entire sequence. Yu finished the inning with the no-hitter intact, but the perfecto was long gone.
7. Yu lost the no-no (and shutout) in the eighth after Carlos Corporan went deep. This did not change the fact that Ron Kulpa clearly hates baseball.
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›