1. Sunday was a rough night for home plate umpire Brian O’Nora. First he was almost decked by an enraged Joe Girardi — though O’Nora does not flinch.
3. This is nothing new for O’Nora. In 2008, his head was cut open by a splintered bat shard.
7. And in April, O’Nora had to leave a game after swallowing his chewing tobacco, vomiting on the field, and then retreating to the nearest dugout.
8. But last night, he would not go so easily. He still made the call after being throat-punched by the ball.
9. Don’t mess with Brian O’Nora. He’s seen it all.
Mike Carlson / AP
Here Are The Top Stories
- The U.S. government is investigating possible unlawful coordination by some airlines to keep prices high ✈️
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Cuba later this summer for the opening of a U.S. embassy there.
- The U.S. Episcopal Church, which appointed an out gay bishop in 2003, has voted to let clergy perform religious same-sex marriages.