1. James Madison is making a strong play for the eye-catching basketball-court-as-focal-point crown this season with this bulldog-themed motif that the school just unveiled.
2. But this has been a years-in-the-making evolution of court design. In 2010, Oregon stunned the world by debuting this unconventional and, oh, only slightly distracting basketball court image.
3. It looked so good, several imitators have since sprung up.
Steve Dykes / Getty Images
4. Last year, Cal State Bakersfield introduced the first completely blue court in college hoops, essentially repurposing Boise State’s iconic blue turf on the hardwood.
5. Florida International’s men’s basketball coach promoted this “beach towel” design on Twitter back in March.
7. This year, George Washington’s court will feature iconic DC monuments.
8. And Cal’s new court will feature a ginormous bear coming at you, ready to eat your face. So yeah, wacky basketball courts are very cool these days.
9. Oddly enough, the aforementioned Boise State, ye of the blue football turf, has actually simplified its court this season, moving away from horsehead interiors inside the three-point line to an easier two-toned look.
Jay Tust / KTVB / Via media.ktvb.com
10. And if this is the next wave and we’ve hit Peak Wacky Basketball Court, that might be healthy because weird things aren’t weird if everyone is doing them. (Except you, Oregon. Never change.)
Here Are Today's Top Stories
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›
- Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›