You know about streusel. It’s that magnificent crunchy and sweet topping that anoints coffee cake.
In its basic form, streusel is made by simply mixing together butter, sugar, and flour.
You can add lots of other things like spices, oats, chopped nuts, and even peanut butter, as in this recipe for Banana Bread with Peanut Butter Streusel pictured above.
It can go inside a dessert…
Above: Apricot-Filled Pumpkin Cake with Brown Butter Frosting. Recipe here.
But usually it is just sprinkled on top, where, when baked, streusel becomes a crunchy golden miracle.
AND there’s this perfect layer between the streusel and the cake that gets especially gooey and sugary.
It is the best. I like to call this The Layer Of Extra Delight.
Coffee cake, while extraordinary, isn’t the only treat that benefits from streusel’s magical transformations. Behold:
2. Blueberry Muffin With Streusel Topping Mug Cake
3. Baked French Toast with Peaches and Crumb Topping
6. Whole Wheat Banana Cinnamon Rolls with Pecan Brown Butter Streusel
7. Rhubarb Streusel Muffins
9. Streusel-Topped Pumpkin Cheesecake Cupcakes
12. Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars with Streusel Topping
15. Deep-Dish Sour Cream–Apple Pie with Cardamom Streusel
19. Streusel-Roasted Plums with Vanilla Ice Cream
25. Sour Cream-Orange Coffee Cake with Chocolate-Pecan Streusel
Kiiiinda looks like a recipe from the 70s in a very good way. Or probably just like, the 90s. Get the recipe..