1. This is a marriage equality cake.
2. You may have noticed similar images on Facebook as people are changing their profile pictures to support marriage equality.
The Supreme Court hears two cases this week that will decide the fate of marriage equality for a generation.
3. There are delightful alternate versions of the symbol floating around.
Here’s a good list of all the versions.
4. Here’s how to make one out of cake.
5. Step 1: Believe that same-sex couples have the right to get married.
6. Step 2: Make five cakes for the five layers.
Yeah sorry, five. You will need to make five red cakes and two pink cakes. We used boxed cake mix — three boxes of Duncan Hines Red Velvet cake mix and one box of Betty Crocker Strawberry Cake mix. If you can’t find either, you could use yellow cake and add a few drops of red food coloring to the batters to get the color you want — a few more drops to get a red color, and a few less to get the pink color.
7. Step 3: Frost one of the red velvet cakes, then make a pink cake circle.
Use a circular piece of tupperware or something to trace the shape of the circle. It’s ok to break the outer circle since you won’t be using it.
8. Step 4: Make a red cake circle of the same size, and then fit the pink circle inside the red cake circular outline.
Cut the same size circle out of the second layer of red velvet cake, taking care not to rip the outer circle. Then fit the pink circle inside the red velvet circular outline.
9. Step 5: More frosting.
Cream cheese frosting is preferred, obviously.
10. Step 6: Add another layer of plain red velvet cake (we cut it in half horizontally). Then add more frosting. Then repeat steps 3 and 4 for another circles layer.
11. Step 7: Add the fifth cake — a plain red velvet layer — then cover with frosting.
If you have enough frosting, you can coat the entire cake with frosting at this point.
12. Step 8: Slice into cake and enjoy the conceptual flavor of equality.
Mmm, tastes like freedom.
- At least three people – including a police officer – died in a shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. The suspect is in police custody. ›
- At least 15 people were killed after a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Muslim procession of hundreds of people in Nigeria. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›