1. Apples Dipped in Honey
The classic! Eating apples dipped in honey on Rosh Hashanah is the traditional way Jewish people toast a sweet New Year — and the best thing ever for Jewish kids with sweet tooths. Making the honey cups out of apples is and adorable idea courtesy of everyone’s favorite shiksa Martha Stewart. Get directions here.
At the Jewish New Year, loaves of challah are made round to symbolize the continuity of creation, and sweet ingredients like raisins, honey, and apples are folded inside. Food blogger Shiksa In The Kitchen had a wonderful recipe and step-by-step guide to all that exciting, fancy braiding here.
Another Rosh Hashanah tradition is to eat a “new fruit” — something that is just coming into season that you haven’t had yet, often a pomegranate.
SO now we’ve discussed my favorite Rosh Hashanah ingredients — here are lots of delicious ways to consume them. Not all of these recipes will work for every Jewish person, depending on the level of kosher law he or she observes. L’Shana tova!
4. Cinnamon Apple Pancakes with Honey Apple Compote
8. Brown Sugar Apple Brie in Puff Pastry
Get the recipe. Be careful with this one as an appetizer for a dinner with meat, as many Jews observing strict kosher law cannot consume dairy and meat in the same meal.
9. Crispy Chicken Thighs with Golden Raisin Compote
Get the recipe. Use olive oil instead of butter if you follow kosher law.
11. Joan Nathan’s Honey-Orange Chicken
12. Fontina, Walnut, Apple & Honey Grilled Cheese Sandwich
13. Pearled Barley Salad with Apples, Pomegranate Seeds, and Pine Nuts
14. Honey-Glazed Carrots
Get the recipe. There’s butter in this recipe, so sub margarine or leave it out if necessary to your observance.
16. Baked Apples With Sauternes
17. Smitten Kitchen’s Majestic and Moist Honey Cake
Get the recipe, adapted from the great Jewish cookbook author Marcy Goldman.
18. Jacques Pepin’s Skillet Apple Charlotte
19. Manischewitz Ice Cream
LOLz. But worth a try, right? Get the recipe.
21. Vegan and Gluten-Free Frozen Pomegranate and Cashew Cake
We've got your WKND covered.
- Shannon Miles, who is suspected of ambushing and killing a Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy, was arrested Saturday and charged with capital murder. ›
- For the first time in history, there are three major hurricanes in the Pacific east of the International Dateline at the same time. ›
- Oliver Sacks, the famed neurologist and author, died Sunday from cancer. He was 82. ›