I came across this summer stew on Food52’s website a couple summers ago when I was living in San Francisco. I had just moved and expected a California summer, complete with flip-flops and trips to the beach. Cut to me, huddled by our electric fire in a frigid apartment as rain pelted the windows. But the produce at the farmer’s market said otherwise — what I needed was a stew. This fit the bill perfectly, and has become my go-to for summer dinners. The only pain is cutting the corn off the cobs, but once that’s done, it comes together in 15 minutes. With a hint of smoke from the bacon, sweet tomatoes, corn, and briney clams it’s insta-summer, no sun required —Sophie Brickman, 29, senior editor Saveur magazine, New York, NY
sweet smoked paprika
Get the amounts for each ingredient in the full recipe on food52.
5. In a big heavy soup pot that you plan to serve your soup out of, cook bacon until it’s brown.
16. Turn off the heat and nestle the clams in with their mouths facing up. Put heat back on medium, cover, and cook til clams open — anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.
We've got your WKND covered.
- At least 86 people were killed in twin bomb blasts during a peace rally near the main train station in Turkey's capital. ›
- Elections on Sunday are widely expected to hand Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko a fifth term since 1994. ›
- President Obama visited Oregon to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›