2. Make a candle out of Crisco.
4. Stock up on batteries and keep them organized and protected from water damage.
5. Convert AAA batteries to AA batteries with tin foil.
6. Coat windows with vinegar-water solution to hinder frost.
Use a solution of three parts white distilled vinegar to one part water.
7. Pack an emergency preparedness kit for your pet.
Include a towel, food, water, an extra food dish, a leash, a toy, and any medicine.
9. This includes a list of phone numbers that you might not have memorized anymore because of cell phones.
10. Store matches in a mason jar with a strikable lid.
11. Make an electricity-free refrigerator.
13. Make sandwich bread in a tin can.
14. Make a freezer-fail detector.
It can be hard to know if your power went out while you were on vacation. If it did, your food might not be safe. Fill a jar halfway with water then freeze on its side. Put the jar upright before you leave and take note if the water has melted and refrozen to find out.