1. LARGE ROASTING PAN. Must be larger than your turkey, with high sides.
This works too, but you probably want to stack one inside another for ensurance.
They can be a little flimsy for heavy birds.
2. INSTANT-READ THERMOMETER
You’ll use it to do this.
Do not slice into your turkey to see if it’s done. And really there’s no reason that in 2012 you should be using the “juices run clear” test. Buy a thermometer. When it’s time to get a read on your turkey, stick the thermometer down into the thigh where it attached to the drumstick. Don’t let it touch the bone. When the temperature reaches 165°F, pull the turkey out, tent it with foil, and let it sit for 30 minutes before carving.
How to make sure your thermometer is properly “calibrated”: Fill a glas half with ice and half with water. Insert the thermometer and ensure that it reads 32°F. If it doesn’t, leave the stem in the ice-water bath, then, using a small wrench, loosen the nut behind the dial and rotate the dial face until the need points at 32°F. Then retighten the nut.
3. RIMMED BAKING SHEETS
You’re looking for something that’s about 21×15×1-inch, or a couple that are 18×13×1-inch.
5. A SHARP CHEF’S KNIFE AND CUTTING BOARDS
The knife doesn’t have to be fancy. It doesn’t have to be expensive. (Here’s the best one you can get for $20.) It just has to be SHARP as the dickens. As for cutting boards, ideally you’ll have a couple of plastic ones since you’re doing so much cooking and working with raw poultry. But wooden ones are wonderful too. The most important thing is to clean your cutting board in between every task.
6. MIXING BOWLS.
Light stainless-steel bowls are better because they are easier to clean and grab off of a shelf than glass ones.
7. TWO OR THREE LARGE (AROUND 5-QT) HEAVY SAUCE POTS WITH LIDS
You will use it for this.
And maybe this.
You’ll use it for this.
10. 9-INCH PIE DISH
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›