1. Between: typically used to describe the relationship between two items, people, or groups.
“Let’s just keep this between you and me,” said the cheating cat to his mistress.
Among: typically used when referring to more than two items, people, or groups.
Worry spread among the puppies that they would soon have to grow up and take on adult responsibilities.
2. Tenet: a principle, belief, or doctrine.
These cats would like to teach you the tenets of their respective religions.
Tenant: one who rents or leases.
These tenants had really hoped the room they were subletting was going to come a bit more furnished.
3. Raise: to bring up; to elevate; to increase.
These two are doing the best job they can to raise this kitten properly so she becomes an upstanding citizen.
Raze: to tear down completely.
This cat is going to raze the home of the person who still thinks this is a funny meme.
Rays: beams of light or other radiation.
“Hey, guys, move along, nothing to see. Just tryin’ to catch some rays out here.”
4. Retch: to vomit.
This little guy is about to retch at the thought of another night serving hors d’oeuvres to a bunch of stuck-up jerks.
Wretch: a miserable person.
“I don’t know when I became such a disdainful wretch, but I think it may have been shortly after SOMEONE DECIDED TO DRESS ME UP AS A BUNNY.”
5. Elicit: to bring out or evoke.
This fluffy baby goat will elicit shrieks of pure joy from all in its path.
This hamster is suspected of engaging in illicit activities in his secret hideaway.
6. Heroin: an illegal narcotic.
Sadly, catnip was the gateway drug for this cat, who wound up addicted to heroin only days later.
Heroine: a heroic female.
This kitty stepped in as a true heroine after her friend’s 1,000-thread-count pillowcase was stolen.
7. Hoard: to stockpile something.
This cat’s owner has asked him to seek help for his cereal hoarding problem for months now, to no avail.
Horde: a throng or swarm.
OMGZZ LOOK AT THIS HORDE OF PUPPIES IN A TUB
8. Ensure: to guarantee an event or condition.
This lil’ guy is just ensuring his best bud stays warm during the blizzard.
Assure: to remove doubt or anxiety.
This chihuahua assures you: She doesn’t need expensive dog clothes to be happy.
Insure: to provide with insurance.
No one is going to insure this pooch after his serious fender bender last week.
9. Allude: to refer indirectly.
This cat is alluding to the fact that it’s time to change your bedding already, you slob.
Elude: to avoid capture.
These bunnies hiding in cups are eluding the authorities after stealing carrots from the farmers market.
Illude: to deceive.
This dog was told he’d be visiting the bone factory, but realized he’d been illuded once they pulled up to the vet’s office.
10. Peak: the topmost point; the highest level or degree.
Even at the peak of exhaustion, these two know how important it is to show each other they care.
Peek: a quick look.
This celebrity otter mom gave the tabloids a sneak peek of the new baby everyone’s been waiting to see. (Sneak PEEK, guys. Peek. Not peak. OK?)
Pique: to excite; to arouse; to anger.
This dachshund’s interest is piqued by a super-fun tennis ball just out of reach.
- The U.S. government is investigating possible unlawful coordination by some airlines to keep prices high ✈️
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Cuba later this summer for the opening of a U.S. embassy there.
- The U.S. Episcopal Church, which appointed an out gay bishop in 2003, has voted to let clergy perform religious same-sex marriages.