1. Admit it those monsters never scared you
Plus, you would climb trees with them.
2. Max made himself the King of the Wild Things
Did Max inspire Jim Morrison? He was a free spirit. After all, this book was a product of the 1960s.
3. Max had the best pajamas ever
How many of us can say we had footsie pajamas with whiskers, a crown and a tail?
4. We could relate to Max
We all got into trouble as children
Admit it, we all wanted to use a hammer as a child. However, he was a wild kid. He tried to attack his dog with a fork.
Max even had his own sailboat named after him
We all wanted that.
Everyone gets homesick
And Max, the king of all wild things, was lonely and wanted to be where someone loved him best of all
5. Being king isn’t everything
But the wild things cried, “Oh please don’t go, We’ll eat you up, we love you so!” Hey, it’s best just to be yourself. Especially, when you are away from the ones you love. There are times when you will feel lonely. In the end, power can amount to nothing.
Fame is not all that it is cracked up to be
6. The monsters were originally wild horses
Even though Mick Jagger wrote Wild Horses in the 1960s, the story of Where the Wild Things Are would not be what it is today if it were not for the monsters. Sendak’s editor suggested that he change the horses.
7. Imagination can create the greatest things
Max had a great imagination. However, the monsters were from caricatures that Sendak drew of his aunts and uncles. He drew pictures of them as a way to escape his family who he described them by having “crazy faces, wild eyes and big yellow teeth.”
8. Everyone loves a homemade meal
It was still hot. Every foodie gets excited about a meal. Plus, being hungry isn’t that fun.
9. Everyone is not a winner at first
Before it won The Caldecott Medal in 1964, the book was actually banned by some libraries. It received poor reviews, but that changed after children continually checked out the book.
10. It’s only 10 sentences
That’s where commas come in handy. Plus, it’s the best 10 sentences you have ever read.
- U.S. President Barack Obama and leaders from 20 nations called for doubling clean energy research funding over the next five years at the Paris climate summit 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›