1. Cheryl Cole shocked everyone when she announced on Monday that she’d married Jean-Bernard Fernandez-Versini, her boyfriend of three months, in secret on 7 July.
She posted this image of her wedding ring on Instagram with the caption: “I usually do not discuss my personal life but to stop the speculation I want to share my happy news. … Jean-Bernard and I married on 7/7/14. We are very happy and excited to move forward with our lives together.”
2. But it turns out she might not actually be married after all. Confused? Us too.
According to reports today, Cole and Fernandez-Versini’s marriage hasn’t been registered and therefore may not be legal – and it’s all down to confusion over the groom’s selection of names.
3. Officials in the Caribbean where the marriage took place are apparently perplexed over Jean-Bernard’s seven names.
Apparently they “can’t get their heads around” his full name, which is Jean-Bernard Justin Antoine Aime Bastien Thierry Fernandez.
The clerk who filled out the marriage licence wrote “Do not understand bachelor’s names” on the paperwork.
Furthermore, a clerk at the office who is dealing with the problem told The Sun: “We need to know the spelling of his names before we can process the documents and register the marriage.”
So it seems Cheryl may be waiting a while longer before she changes her surname from Cole to Fernandez-Versini.
- Protesters gathered in Chicago Tuesday night after city officials released the video of a white police officer fatally shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teenager. ›
- At least 19 people in seven U.S. states have been infected with E. coli in an outbreak officials believe is linked to rotisserie chicken salads sold at Costco. ›
- Adele broke the single-week U.S. album sales record set by NSYNC in 2000. "25" sold at least 2.43 million in about three days. ›