1. Cheryl Cole shocked absolutely everyone today by announcing that she has married her boyfriend of three months, Jean-Bernard Fernandez-Versini.
She shared the news on her website and Instagram page alongside this photo of her gigantic diamond engagement and wedding rings. “I usually do not discuss my personal life,” Cole said, “but to stop the speculation I want to share my happy news. Jean-Bernard and I married on 7 July 2014. We are very happy and excited to move forward with our lives together.”
2. But wait, WHAT?! Cole only just confirmed that she had a boyfriend, let alone one that was marriage material.
She split from Ashley Cole, her husband of four years, back in 2010, and since then has had only one confirmed relationship, with dancer Tre Holloway. It ended a year ago.
Here’s everything we know about the new couple.
3. They met and began dating in late April, but it wasn’t until May, when they were spotted together at the Cannes Film Festival, that rumours that they were in a relationship began.
They were dining at the luxury French pop-up restaurant Cosy Box – which Fernandez-Versini owns – when this image was uploaded to the restaurant’s Instagram account. The rumour mill went into immediate overdrive over just who that good-looking guy was, and whether he was Chezza’s new love interest.
4. They made their second public appearance at the end of June, when they dined at a London restaurant together.
And it wasn’t long before sources were revealing that Cole was “happier than ever” with her new man. One source told The Sun: “She’s really happy. They’re an item and Cheryl is ready to find love again.”
Another said: “There’s great chemistry between them. They have been the most electric couple in Cannes.”
At the time, a spokesperson for Cole declined to comment.
5. We then began to learn a few details about Fernandez-Versini.
The 33-year-old had been featured in a 2002 New York Times profile on “Eurotrash” jet-setters, described as a university student who “summers on the Riviera, spends winter vacations in St Barts and took a year off just to party”.
However, he’s not just a wild party boy. Fernandez-Versini also has two degrees under his belt, and started his own business aged 21.
Since 2008, he’s been using his connections to expand Cosy Box.
6. On 8 June, Cole made her comeback performance on Britain’s Got Talent. And who was by her side?
Yep, you’ve guessed it.
Cole performed her new single, Crazy Stupid Love, during the live final of the show, and Fernandez-Versini was photographed leaving the studios with her.
7. Two days after the appearance, Fernandez-Versini confirmed that he was indeed dating Cole.
He said: “‘My English is better than her French but I teach her the words. Mainly the bad words! She teaches me the Geordie.”
He went on to reveal that he’d enjoyed watching her perform on the show: “She is amazing. It was good to see her performing. I was proud. Impressed? Yes – very, very impressed.”
9. But it wasn’t until 22 June that Cole spoke about their relationship.
She wasn’t exactly forthcoming about it, saying simply: “Things are going good between us.”
Then reports surfaced that Cole had taken things to the next level and moved Fernandez-Versini into her Hertfordshire home.
10. Cole celebrated her 31st birthday on 30 June, and shared a couple of photos that suggested that Fernandez-Versini spoiled her rotten.
This photo of herself surrounded by candles, roses, and champagne was shared with the caption: “Such a beautiful night #stunning #surprise.”
She shared this image with the caption: “Bestbirthdayever.”
13. The following day, Fernandez-Versini accompanied Cole to the X Factor auditions in Edinburgh.
She shared this photo of the gang from their private jet, with Fernandez-Versini clearly in attendance.
14. On 13 July, reports surfaced that Cole was “ready to marry” Fernandez-Versini. Little did we know that they already were married.
A source told the Mirror: “Their relationship has really hotted up and he’s a very impulsive guy. It’s only early days but Jean-Bernard isn’t shy about admitting his feelings and has told Cheryl what he wants.”
15. Cole and Fernandez-Versini actually married in secret on 7 July. The day after the wedding took place, Cole shared this image on her Instagram page.
We’re presuming this is a reference to previous relationships – in particular, Ashley Cole.
16. The pair reportedly tied the knot on a beach in Mustique.
Just four guests – said to include Cole’s mum, Joan, and the singer’s close friend and personal assistant Lily England – were in attendance.
A source told The Sun: “Only a handful of people knew. She’s never been so happy. Cheryl’s madly in love and had no fear about taking the plunge. She’s delighted he’s her new husband and wants to have his babies. It’s a beautiful thing. She’s on cloud nine right now.”