1. In anticipation of Tuesday’s World Cup match, U.S. ambassador to the U.K. Matthew Barzun issued a challenge on Twitter to his counterpart from Belgium. (He also posted a larger version of the letter on Tumblr.)
2. The handwritten note reads:
Dear Ambassador Trouveroy,
Since we are both soccer (football) fans and our two countries’ teams face each other tonight in the World Cup, I thought I would offer up a friendly wager:
If you win I will cook American pancakes for you and your team at the Belgian Embassy.
If, however, Team USA wins then we would enjoy tasty Belgian waffles at the US Embassy.
Best of luck: may the best team win…
… but I believe, I believe that we will win!
- Dylann Roof wants to plead guilty to the charges against him in the Charleston church shooting, his attorney said, but a judge entered a not guilty plea for him on Friday.
- The World Health Organization says that an interim analysis of a potential Ebola vaccine shows "100% efficacy in individuals."
- Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city to host both the summer and winter games.