1. In anticipation of Tuesday’s World Cup match, U.S. ambassador to the U.K. Matthew Barzun issued a challenge on Twitter to his counterpart from Belgium. (He also posted a larger version of the letter on Tumblr.)
2. The handwritten note reads:
Dear Ambassador Trouveroy,
Since we are both soccer (football) fans and our two countries’ teams face each other tonight in the World Cup, I thought I would offer up a friendly wager:
If you win I will cook American pancakes for you and your team at the Belgian Embassy.
If, however, Team USA wins then we would enjoy tasty Belgian waffles at the US Embassy.
Best of luck: may the best team win…
… but I believe, I believe that we will win!
- Justice Antonin Scalia, who served almost 30 years on the Supreme Court as one of its most prominent and influential conservative voices, died Saturday. He was 79.
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated for the first time since Donald Trump's win in New Hampshire, and it got intense.
- Bitterly cold temperatures and arctic winds began freezing large swathes of the U.S. Northeast ❄️