1. In anticipation of Tuesday’s World Cup match, U.S. ambassador to the U.K. Matthew Barzun issued a challenge on Twitter to his counterpart from Belgium. (He also posted a larger version of the letter on Tumblr.)
2. The handwritten note reads:
Dear Ambassador Trouveroy,
Since we are both soccer (football) fans and our two countries’ teams face each other tonight in the World Cup, I thought I would offer up a friendly wager:
If you win I will cook American pancakes for you and your team at the Belgian Embassy.
If, however, Team USA wins then we would enjoy tasty Belgian waffles at the US Embassy.
Best of luck: may the best team win…
… but I believe, I believe that we will win!
- An assailant shot two people at Texas Southern University. One person has died, and a suspect has been detained. ›
- A judge halted all eight scheduled executions in Arkansas. Inmates are challenging a law allowing the state to keep the source of its execution drugs a secret. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›