1. When Belgium’s singer was overshadowed by his enthusiastic backup (interpretive) dancers..
3. When Moldova’s singer pulled a Hunger Games and lit her dress on fire.
4. When Hungary’s hipster band appeared to wander onto the stage completely by accident.
5. When Denmark’s winning song “Only Teardrops” was accompanied by a very small flute.
The absurdity was heightened by the flute player’s poker face…
And the sexual tension between him and singer Emmelie de Forest.
6. When Iceland’s singer was revealed to be the Norse God of Thunder.
7. When a giant viking carried Ukraine’s singer onto the stage.
The significance or symbolism behind this entrance was never explained to the Eurovision viewers.
So the internet drew its own conclusions.
8. When Sweden’s unleashed its smörgåsbord of awesome.
Since Sweden hosted this year’s competition, they were in charge of putting on a musical “halftime show.” They knocked it out of the park, performing a song-and-dance number that poked fun at Swedish stereotypes.
Sweden’s musical tribute to their country included jokes about recycling…
And a celebration of the country’s marriage equality laws (same-sex marriage has been legal in Sweden since 2009).
The tribute also included dancing Swedish meatballs.
I can safely say that after watching this video, I have never understood Sweden more fully.
The song, “Alcohol Is Free,” sounded like a traditional folk song when band Koza Mostra began playing, but it quickly morphed into an upbeat pop song.
As most viewers were well into their drinking games at this point in the evening, Greece’s performance was one of the highlights of the night.
10. When Azerbaijan’s singers found themselves trapped in a glass case of emotion.
Singer Farid Mammadov told a Eurovision blog that the man inside the glass box is supposed to represent his inner torment and the lady in the red dress is meant to portray his lost love.
Inner turmoil? Imminent battle with an evil alternate-universe version of himself? Watch and decide for yourself.
11. Romania’s flamboyant opera dubstep vampire performance. All of it.
I can’t even pretend to be unbiased about this. Romania’s song was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen.
Romanian singer Cezar performed his song “It’s My Life,” while wearing a dress/robe, surrounded by what appeared to be nude dancers.
- [A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/sheriffs-deputy-shot-dead-in-ambush-at-texas-gas-station)
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)