1. When Belgium’s singer was overshadowed by his enthusiastic backup (interpretive) dancers..
3. When Moldova’s singer pulled a Hunger Games and lit her dress on fire.
4. When Hungary’s hipster band appeared to wander onto the stage completely by accident.
5. When Denmark’s winning song “Only Teardrops” was accompanied by a very small flute.
The absurdity was heightened by the flute player’s poker face…
And the sexual tension between him and singer Emmelie de Forest.
6. When Iceland’s singer was revealed to be the Norse God of Thunder.
7. When a giant viking carried Ukraine’s singer onto the stage.
The significance or symbolism behind this entrance was never explained to the Eurovision viewers.
So the internet drew its own conclusions.
8. When Sweden’s unleashed its smörgåsbord of awesome.
Since Sweden hosted this year’s competition, they were in charge of putting on a musical “halftime show.” They knocked it out of the park, performing a song-and-dance number that poked fun at Swedish stereotypes.
Sweden’s musical tribute to their country included jokes about recycling…
And a celebration of the country’s marriage equality laws (same-sex marriage has been legal in Sweden since 2009).
The tribute also included dancing Swedish meatballs.
I can safely say that after watching this video, I have never understood Sweden more fully.