1. Pope Francis was departing St. Peter’s Square after Wednesday’s general audience when he saw a severely disfigured man amidst the crowd of worshippers.
Lord, teach us to step outside ourselves. Teach us to go out into the streets and manifest your love.
3. Ignoring the deformities covering the man’s face and neck, Pope Francis descended from his vehicle, walked to the sick man, and kissed him on the forehead.
True charity requires courage: let us overcome the fear of getting our hands dirty so as to help those in need.
5. The pope then laid his hands on the man’s head and began to pray.
- The main suspect in last month's bombing of Bangkok's Erawan shrine has been arrested, Thailand's prime minister says. ›
- Hundreds of people have arrived by train to Austria from Hungary on Monday, as European Union asylum rules collapsed under the escalating migration crisis. ›
- A video released on Monday shows two Texas deputies fatally shooting a man with his hands up. A witness sold the footage to a local TV station for $100. ›