1. Pope Francis was departing St. Peter’s Square after Wednesday’s general audience when he saw a severely disfigured man amidst the crowd of worshippers.
Lord, teach us to step outside ourselves. Teach us to go out into the streets and manifest your love.
3. Ignoring the deformities covering the man’s face and neck, Pope Francis descended from his vehicle, walked to the sick man, and kissed him on the forehead.
True charity requires courage: let us overcome the fear of getting our hands dirty so as to help those in need.
5. The pope then laid his hands on the man’s head and began to pray.
- President Obama said that he was "deeply disturbed" by the video showing the police shooting of black teenager Laquan McDonald in Chicago. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›