1. Pope Francis was departing St. Peter’s Square after Wednesday’s general audience when he saw a severely disfigured man amidst the crowd of worshippers.
Lord, teach us to step outside ourselves. Teach us to go out into the streets and manifest your love.
3. Ignoring the deformities covering the man’s face and neck, Pope Francis descended from his vehicle, walked to the sick man, and kissed him on the forehead.
True charity requires courage: let us overcome the fear of getting our hands dirty so as to help those in need.
5. The pope then laid his hands on the man’s head and began to pray.
- Iran's parliament approved a nuclear deal with six other world powers, including the U.S. ›
- Police officers in the UK will record anti-Muslim hate crimes as a specific category in crime statistics for the first time. ›
- There were three stabbings in Jerusalem on Monday, part of a monthlong wave of violence between Israelis and Palestinians. ›