A University of Arizona student sparked outrage Tuesday by holding up a sign reading, “You Deserve Rape” and preaching that women who dress like “whores” bring rape upon themselves in protest to a sexual assault awareness event being held that night.
Dean Saxton, a junior who regularly preaches on the University of Arizona campus under the name “Brother Dean Samuel,” told the Arizona Daily Wildcat that “his sermon was meant to convey that ‘if you dress like a whore, act like a whore, you’re probably going to get raped.’” Saxton decided to make the sign and deliver his sermon on Tuesday in opposition to a “Take Back the Night” event planned for Tuesday night and because April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
“I think that girls that dress and act like it,” Saxton told the Daily Wildcat, “they should realize that they do have partial responsibility, because I believe that they’re pretty much asking for it.”
Despite widespread anger from students and faculty, the university’s administration did not remove Saxton or his sign. In response to a request for comment, Kendal Washington White, interim dean of students, said, “We find [Saxton’s actions] to be vulgar and vile. However, it is protected speech. He has yet to, at this point, violate the student code of conduct.”
3. The student preacher posted a picture of Wednesday’s Daily Wildcat to his Twitter account.
Front page!!!! http://t.co/yhoFFmsHQc— Dean saxton
4. He also retweeted this picture of himself in action from a “Sorostitute” who appears to support his controversial stance.
Ayyyy @brodeanIV rape me #please ðŸ™ http://t.co/TpjOlo5nt5— Sorostitutes Inc.
5. Saxton tweeted pictures of a female student’s letter to the editor criticizing the paper’s coverage of the protest and commented on her support of the “Take Back the Night” rally.
The sluts can’t handle it!!!! Front page and slut fire gets the lower half!!!! http://t.co/YDnwpexmAU— Dean saxton
Whore get second place… http://t.co/9idvD3yYXf— Dean saxton
The whores are out http://t.co/0voUx8yNiI— Dean saxton
The Daily Wildcat published an editorial on Wednesday explaining their decision to report the story.
9. An examination of Saxton’s Twitter feed reveals more of his somewhat controversial beliefs.
A good question for your first date http://t.co/hZ2ruiwQ53— Dean saxton
God hates feminists!!!! http://t.co/dAvoCRQ24J— Dean saxton
What’s up… http://t.co/TOZC4xq5a0— Dean saxton
Bro Ruben http://t.co/yMiGbGTAWR— Dean saxton
For all the virgins http://t.co/mQ1Pdzt6GI— Dean saxton
14. Saxton posted a video of Tuesday’s “You Deserve Rape” sermon on his YouTube page.
16. Update - April 26, 2013, 6:00 p.m.: Dean Saxton has posted an update on his blog in response to the online criticism.
From Saxton’s blog, Open Air Preaching with Brother Dean:
YOU DESERVE GRAPES
It was a completely normal day, nothing out of the ordinary I just going to the campus to preach all the normal procedure for me as a Christian preacher of righteous. Sinless Sarah and I brought two signs that were dealing with the rape and modesty issues on the campus. Nothing extreme, just truth and love. So I brought out this mild sign that read “YOU DESEVRE RAPE” and I mounted my voice (which because of free speech is protected) and my face in such a way in order to set it against the ungodly, against the feminists, against the rapists at the University of Arizona.
As soon as I took out the sign and began to dialogue the faces of the immodest vixens, and common whores started to get riled up. I challenged these girls to cover up in the Wild Wild West, because there a rapist here. There are actually many, they are called Frat boys. The Greek life at the U of A has had many hazing problems with Greek life here and it comes as no surprise from a club dedicated to the party lifestyle. These Greeks on campus are life in such whoredoms with almost anything that moves. But it’s not just Greek life, it’s the porn freak’s, and the masturbating community on campus. But these girls aren’t helping, guys are visual and they need to put some clothes on!
Too many girls wear these SEX shorts, that make them look like whores. If you act like a whore, dress a like a whore then don’t get mad when you get treated like a whore. Feminists, fat lesbians, and whores get raped, abused, and mistreated. You judge a tree by its fruit, I’m a normal college guy calling you my fellow college students out! You need to repent, change! Or you will go to hell forever, this life is finite, please change…or face the consequences.
First this chubby woman threw her Ipad to the ground, wrapped her thick whale arms around me. While in her choke hold she didn’t realize her intolerance was showing, her femi-nazi was showing. She was just another lousy nagging woman trying to use force to change me…but she is a woman and the weaker vessel. Then this cave man came up reached for my shirt, and ripped some of it. THEN this huge football player approached and hit the sign out my hands and what acting in a way that made feel like I wasn’t going to survive for very long. The hecklars made several signs, josh Solomon made a sign that read “you deserve Grape” and there was a huge banner of Jimmy Hendricks. Which the satanic signs were obviously of the devil and were showing how bad and evil this university really. The hecklers got in front of me and cheered as they tried to steal my crowd as much as they could.
- Greece won't pay the International Monetary Fund the $1.8 billion it owes on time, paving the way for a formal default.
- Liberia has reported its first Ebola death since the country was declared free of the virus in May.
- At least 30 people were reported dead after a military plane crashed into two houses in a residential neighborhood in the Indonesian city of Medan.
- N.J. Gov. Chris Christie, a Republican who's faced political fallout from the "Bridgegate" scandal, is running for president.