Pauline Phillips, known to the world as advice columnist Abigail Van Buren, has died at age 94 of Alzheimer’s. Phillips began writing her world-famous Dear Abby column in 1956 and wrote until her retirement in 2002, handing her pen name off to her daughter Jeanne Phillips.
1. And now, a look back at some of Pauline Phillips’ best Dear Abby columns:
March 10, 1960
4. “Can a boy be normal and knit in public?”
March 15, 1962
7. “He’s dark and sort of gives me the creeps.”
May 12, 1960
8. Dear Abby: Is our jaguar a homosexual?
February 7, 1972
9. Virgin spotting with Dear Abby!
January 7, 1973
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›