Pauline Phillips, known to the world as advice columnist Abigail Van Buren, has died at age 94 of Alzheimer’s. Phillips began writing her world-famous Dear Abby column in 1956 and wrote until her retirement in 2002, handing her pen name off to her daughter Jeanne Phillips.
1. And now, a look back at some of Pauline Phillips’ best Dear Abby columns:
March 10, 1960
4. “Can a boy be normal and knit in public?”
March 15, 1962
7. “He’s dark and sort of gives me the creeps.”
May 12, 1960
8. Dear Abby: Is our jaguar a homosexual?
February 7, 1972
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- FIFA has suspended its president Sepp Blatter, secretary general Jerome Valcke, and vice-president Michel Platini for 90 days. ›
- It could take more than a year for Volkswagen to fix all its cars with diesel engines rigged to evade emissions tests, the company's U.S. CEO said. ›